Skip to Content

Birth Certificates

How to Obtain a Certified Birth Certificate
A certified birth certificate is used to establish identity for legal purposes. California state laws help protect against identify theft by allowing only an authorized person to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate. Those who are authorized by law to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate are:
  • The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
  • A party entitled to receive the certificate as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth certificate in order to comply with the requirement of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business (companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency).
  • A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant.
  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute, or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate.
  • Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and scope of his or her employment and who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any authorized individual specified above or in Health and Safety Code Section 7100.
Informational Only copies of birth certificates (requires cash or check only)
Those who do not meet the criteria for an authorized certified copy may receive an informational only copy. The words "informational, not a valid document to establish identity" will be imprinted across the face of the certified copy.


Hospital Births
For every birth in the hospital, birth information is collected and completed by a designated birth recorder at each birthing hospital in Lake County and is sent to Lake County Health Services Department Vital Records, for registration.
Out of Hospital Births (e.g. home, ambulance or car en route)
Parents who have a baby out of the hospital must register the birth with the Vital Records and Registration Lake County Health Services Office directly.
  1. A home birth packet must be obtained and completed. If you do not have pdf view/print capability, call the office to obtain a home birth packet by mail.
  2. Call the office at 1-707-263-1090 to set-up an appointment.
  3. Please be sure to keep your appointment with all required parties.


Application Process
If Applying In-Person:
If you are an authorized individual (see application below), you may come into our office to purchase a certified birth certificate. In order to receive an authorized, certified copy, you must complete the application form, which includes a sworn statement, under penalty of perjury. You may bring valid identification, i.e. state identification, state driver's license, passport, etc. Pay by cash, check and money order only, payable to Lake County Health Services Department
Reminder: Do Not Sign the sworn statement until you are in the presence of VR staff.

InPersonIn-Person Forms:
Application (en)
Application (sp)
Sworn Statement (en)
Sworn Statement (sp)

If applying By Mail:
A completed application and a notarized sworn statement form signed under penalty of perjury by the authorized requestor are required for all orders sent by mail. Mail the notarized application and the required payment by check and money order only, payable to Lake County Health Services Department.

InPersonMail-in Forms:
Application (en)
Application (sp)
Sworn Statement (must be notorized (en)
Sworn Statement (must be notorized (sp)
Mail to:
Lake County Health Services Department Vital Records
922 Bevins Court
Lakeport, CA 95453

Changing a Birth Certificate

If there is incorrect or missing information on your child’s birth certificate, you may make a request for an amendment. The Office of Vital Statistics can assist in preparing or requesting amendments to birth certificates for all years of birth.
The following forms and instruction are available:
Affidavit to Amend a Birth Record
Correcting Gender Errors on Birth Certificates
Gender Reassignment
Court Order Name Change
Delayed Registration of Birth
Court Ordered Delayed Registration of Birth
Acknowledgement of Paternity and Declaration of Paternity
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage
The Adoption Process
Out-of-Hospital Birth (Home Birth Packets)

Not sure which form you need? Call the Office of vital Statistics at (707) 263-1090 for more information.
Who is eligible to request a fee exempt birth certificate pursuant to AB 1733?

In California, a homeless person, or a homeless child, or youth on behalf of themselves can make a request for a birth certificate, or any person lawfully entitled to request a birth certificate on behalf of a child, if the child has been verified as a homeless person or a homeless child or youth.

Call the Office of Vital Records at (707) 263-1090 or (800) 794-9291 for more information.